Treating Prostate Cancer with Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy
The CyberKnife® robotic radiosurgery system is a widely used form of nonsurgical prostate stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT). The American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) believes that enough clinical evidence exists so that SBRT should be considered an appropriate treatment option for select patients with low- to intermediate-risk prostate cancer. CyberKnife is designed to avoid healthy tissue and critical anatomy, therefore reducing side effects such as erectile dysfunction, urinary and bowel complications.
Advantages of SBRT
- Treats patients in 5 or fewer visits, depending on tumor size, volume, and location
- Constantly corrects for patient/tumor movement throughout treatment, ensuring radiation beams are always locked on tumor during treatment
- Reaches tumors from virtually unlimited directions with robotic mobility
- Enables clinicians to maximize and conform the dose to the tumor target while limiting radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissue
- Outpatient procedure, little or no recovery time and minimal side effects
- Requires no anesthesia
- Allows for an immediate return to normal activities
Dr. Heuser’s Story
Other Patient Testimonials
Speak with one of our dedicated Team Member about how we can help today.